Sunday, December 15, 2019

Election - I'm Going To Run

I went running last night for the first time in five years. 

Running in loafers and jeans - away from the police, on the freeway. And I feel oddly alive. Strangely alive. 

Went outside last night to a huge line of cars rerouted to my street and at least 5 helicopters overhead and at least 12 cop cars because protesters were trying to shut down I5. I heard the drums. I smelled the smoke bombs, I saw the Twitter feeds, so I put on my jeans and a pair of loafers so I could see what was going on. 

I RAN to the freeway overpass I heard they were blocking, saw nothing, adjusted my feed and followed the sirens to 65th. I couldn't figure out where they were. but I wanted to be in. Ran up the off ramp. onto I5 and stayed behind the barricades - nothing. I could hear it, I could sense it, but I couldn't find it. I ran to the other on ramp - nothing. I ran back - nothing. 

I was fully prepared to be your cub reporter on the scene, but I never saw another human that wasn't in blue. My actions were dangerous and stupid, but, I loved it. I ran like I had purpose. Tuesday night, I was in shock. I was sad and broken. And I still am, but I have this weird drive to do something about this. 

And it isn't what you think. I have learned some hard lessons. I have been dismissive of working class issues. I have, frankly, been a dick. And I pride myself on being non-biased and accepting. I have openly mocked people's beliefs, and that is not OK or even who I am. 

And I am, sincerely, sorry. I am sorry I disregarded your points of view and failed to see where you are coming from, and utterly failed to realize my own culpability in this. This opened up my eyes and caused me some serious reflection as a friend, relative, and fellow citizen. 

I don't like the guy,l don't like what came out of his mouth, I hate his voice, I can't stand his face, I hate what he appears to believe about people I love and even am. But the people have spoken and they need to be heard. 

That is the deal. It has happened before and we put on our adult panties and addressed the issues. No change or growth comes without a painful learning experience. And this was mine. Was ours. And before we have to learn anything else the hard way, I have to clean up my own house, my own shit. And I do that with absolute honesty and self reflection as I prepare for the next opportunity to move us, honestly, forward. 

Keith Ellison and Tulsi Gabbard - I have started the PAC. We are building the case. And I packed my clothes for tomorrow - I am going to run. Just like a mile. But I am going to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment