Sunday, December 15, 2019

Move the damn TMT already

I like science. I LOVE science! I'm a science geek. Science! Science! Science! But, more importantly, I was born in a truly remarkable place - Hawai'i, and I am grateful. If there is one thing I have learned in my 48 years on this planet, it is that Hawai'i is incredibly unique. Because the land we stand on is sacred. So, if Hawaiians don't want the TMT on their land, don't put the fucking telescope on their fucking land. It doesn't matter if there are "already telescopes there". That argument carries the same weight as "well, someone already dumped toxic waste in the ocean so we can too". Listen to people justifying this. It's not your land. The land belongs to Hawaiians. And for future reference, if anyone tells you something is racist, sexist, xenophobic, homophobic, antithetical to their culture, etc., you may want to listen. Because it probably is.

No comments:

Post a Comment